L.A. Times apologizes over article on Tupac attack
March 29, 2008, 12:00 am TWN
LOS ANGELES -- The Los Angeles Times apologized Thursday for an article based on bogus documents that linked rap mogul Sean “Diddy” Combs to the 1994 armed assault of late rapper Tupac Shakur. The newspaper published an article last week citing “FBI records” in which a confidential informant accused two men linked to Combs of helping to set up the shooting in New York, which seriously wounded Shakur. But the March 17 article’s reporter and his supervising editor said they now believe that the documents were fabricated, after their authenticity were challenged by the website thesmokinggun.com.
“In relying on documents that I now believe were fake, I failed to do my job,” Chuck Philips, a Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter, said in a statement published in an L.A. Times article. “I’m sorry.”