US Craigslist killing suspect claims to have murdered 22 other victims
February 18, 2014, 12:19 am TWN
SUNBURY, Pennsylvania--A woman charged along with her newlywed husband with killing a man they met through Craigslist admitted to the slaying in a jailhouse interview with a newspaper and said she has killed more than 20 other people across America, claims that police said they are investigating.
In an interview with The Daily Item in Sunbury, 19-year-old Miranda Barbour said she wants to plead guilty to killing Troy LaFerrara in November. She also said in the interview she has killed at least 22 others from Alaska to North Carolina in the last six years as part of her involvement in a satanic cult.
“I feel it is time to get all of this out. I don't care if people believe me. I just want to get it out,” Barbour told the newspaper for a story published Saturday night.
Sunbury police Chief Steve Mazzeo told the newspaper that investigators were aware of Miranda Barbour's claims of involvement in other murders. He said they are “seriously concerned” and have contacted police in other jurisdictions.
In a statement issued Sunday, the FBI's Philadelphia division said it had been in contact with Sunbury police and “will offer any assistance requested in the case.”
Miranda Barbour's lawyer did not immediately return messages from The Associated Press left at his office Sunday. Mazzeo did not immediately respond to a message seeking comment left at his office Sunday.
Attorneys for Barbour and her husband, 22-year-old Elytte Barbour, have both sought psychiatric evaluations for their clients.
Miranda Barbour's attorney also asked a judge last week to toss out statements she made before she was charged. Public defender Ed Greco said in the motion that Barbour wasn't afforded an attorney despite repeated requests during two police interviews.