Maldive court summons ex-president after boycott
October 3, 2012, 12:13 am TWN
MALE, Maldives -- A court in the Maldives Tuesday issued an order summoning the country's first elected president, Mohamed Nasheed, after he boycotted the scheduled start of his criminal trial, police told AFP.
Nasheed had been charged with abuse of power in connection with the events that led to his toppling in February. But his case was adjourned, without a new date being set, after he failed to turn up at court.
The government Tuesday warned that Nasheed risked arrest if he ignored the court twice.
His Maldivian Democratic Party said he was determined to defy the courts until the new administration agreed to reform the judiciary, and he was not due to return until Oct. 13 from campaigning in the country's south.