The Japan Sumo Association on Sunday ordered a Russian wrestler to sit out three bouts for assaulting two photographers after losing a fractious bout the day before, an association spokesman said.
The JSA ordered Roho, an upper division wrestler ranked three slots below the sport's topmost tiers, to sit out three bouts starting Monday for his actions, association spokesman Takahiro Ishii said.
The incident took place after Roho's bout on Saturday with ozeki Chiyotaikai. The pair glared at one another and exchanged words after the ozeki forced the Russian grappler out of the ring with a move that sent both wrestlers tumbling into the seats
Following the match, Roho slapped a pair of newspaper photographers in the dressing room, Ishii said.
JSA Chairman Kitanoumi had already warned both wrestlers over their conduct on the ring Saturday evening, Ishii said. Sunday's punishment is solely for the assault, he added.
The Russian, who also injured his hand punching out a window in the locker room, will have three losses recorded against his record for the tournament as a result of the punishment, association spokesman Tsuyoshi Nomura said. His record stood at 4-3 after Saturday's bouts.