News Videos
World
International Edition

Monday

July 24, 2017

Breaking News, World News and Taiwan News.
About Us
E-Newsletter
Advertise
Contact Us

This is why you don't use electronics in the bath

A teenager from Texas who died in a bathtub in New Mexico over the weekend was electrocuted after touching a phone that was plugged in, her family said Tuesday.

The girl, 14-year-old Madison Coe from Lubbock, Texas, either plugged her phone in or grabbed the already-plugged-in phone while in a bathtub at her father's home in Lovington, New Mexico, local broadcaster KCBD reported.

"There was a burn mark on her hand, the hand that would have grabbed the phone," said Donna O'Guinn, Coe's grandmother, to KCBD. "That was just very obvious that that's what had happened."

"This is such a tragedy that doesn't need to happen to anyone else.

"We want something good to come out of this, as awareness of not using your cellphone in the bathroom as its plugged in and charging," she said.

Initial evidence indicated electrocution, but no cause of death has been announced yet, officials said in a news release quoted by KCBD.

Coe's family also used a post on Facebook, which has been shared by thousands, to warn of the dangers of electrical appliances plugged in near water.

By Tuesday evening more than US$8,000 had also been pledged in donations to the family, for medical and memorial costs, via the crowdfunding website GoFundMe.

MOST POPULAR OF THIS SECTION
Advertise  |   RSS Feed  |   About Us  |   Contact Us
Home  |   Taiwan  |   China  |   Business  |   Asia  |   World  |   Sports  |   Life  |  
Arts & Leisure  |   Health  |   Editorial  |   Commentary Travel  |   Movies  |   Guide Post  |   Terms of Use  |  
  chinapost search