The intestine of an American cholera victim from the mid-1800s has yielded new clues to the evolution of the deadly bacterium and may help prevent future outbreaks, researchers said Wednesday.
People traveling to China should take health precautions as 10 more H7N9 avian flu cases have been reported there since October, Taiwan's Central Epidemic Command Center said yesterday.
After more than 40 years of study, the U.S. government said Monday it has no evidence that the anti-bacterial chemicals used in countless common soaps and washes help prevent the spread of germs, and it is reviewing research suggesting they may pose health risks.
U.S. health officials have approved a highly anticipated hepatitis C drug from Gilead Sciences Inc. that is expected to offer a faster, more palatable cure to millions of people infected with the liver-destroying virus.
Taiwan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said yesterday that its office in Japan has lodged a protest with the Japanese government and demanded a correction to a website that listed Taiwan as an area with the avian influenza A (H7N9) virus.
The Tainan City Department of Health yesterday announced that a case of hemorrhagic dengue fever had broken out. The patient, a 62-year-old woman residing in Tainan's Northern District, has since been released from the hospital and is expected to make a full recovery, city health department officials said.
Saudi health authorities announced on Sunday a new death caused by MERS, bringing to 53 the number of fatalities in the kingdom by the coronavirus.
Taiwan's Centers for Disease Control (CDC) on Wednesday urged people traveling to China to stay alert, following the discovery there of two new human cases of the H7N9 bird flu.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has turned to pet owners for help in an ongoing investigation into jerky products, most made in China, that have killed nearly 600 dogs and cats.
A moviegoer surnamed Wang reportedly was bitten by a mouse while he was watching a movie last Friday at the Cinemark movie theater in Taipei; he later went to Mackay Memorial Hospital and received a rabies vaccination.