International Edition

Thursday

January, 12, 2017

About Us
Subscribe
Advertise
Contact Us
NewsCancel SubscriptionPrevious Issues
Intel officials brief Trump on unconfirmed, potentially compromising report
The China Post news staff with AP

Top intelligence officials last week told President-elect Donald Trump about an unsubstantiated report that Russia had compromising personal and financial information about him, a U.S. official says.

The briefing about the document was first reported by CNN. A summary of the allegations was separate from a classified assessment of Russia's suspected attempts to meddle in the U.S. presidential election. Trump and President Barack Obama were briefed on the intelligence community's findings last week.

Shortly after news reports were published about the briefing, Trump tweeted: "FAKE NEWS - A TOTAL POLITICAL WITCH HUNT!"

Trump was expected to hold a previously scheduled news conference Wednesday to discuss his future plans regarding his role with the Trump Organization. The official who discussed the briefing by intelligence figures spoke on condition of anonymity because the official was not allowed to publicly discuss the matter.

The unsubstantiated dossier on Trump was compiled by a former British intelligence operative as part of an opposition research project originally financed by a Republican client who opposed Trump, and later funded by Democrats, according to Mother Jones, which published an article about the report in October and said the operative had turned over the report to the FBI. The New York Times reported the operative had previously worked for British intelligence. The Associated Press has not been able to substantiate the information in the dossier, which misspelled the name of Russia's largest bank.

The New York Times reported that the information include "sex videos involving prostitutes with Mr. Trump in a 2013 visit to a Moscow hotel."

The website BuzzFeed News cited the report as claimng that the Russian government has been "cultivating, supporting and assisting" President-elect Donald Trump for years.

The website published what it claimed to be photos of the two-page synopsis of the intelligence report (see photo above) on the grounds that "Americans can make up their own minds about allegations about the president-elect that have circulated at the highest levels of the US government."

To be continued with www.chinapost.com.tw


•  President Chain, FamilyMart set sales records in past year
•  Lungyen denies CNS acquisition report rumors
•  Liaoning passes through tense Taiwan Strait
•  'Yes we did' — Obama bids farewell
•  New Thai King makes rare political intervention
Opinions
Choose life; choose civic conciousness
The China Post news staff

New labor regulations haphazardly designed as a compromise between labor and capital have become a lightning rod for discontent.

The new year has brought the blow of rising costs, reduced hospital shifts and overall capital flight linked to the regulations. Now, attention has turned to the back and forth exchange between government and industry over so-called "support measures" for the amendments.

The government denied Tuesday that it would heed business lobby "suggestions" to relax existing limits on employee overtime (currently capped at 46 hours a month). Once maligned by labor protesters for cutting public holidays and cozying up to big business, the government has seemingly made an about face and looks ready to play hardball with big business.

We applaud this belated move that represents a smidgen of support for labor after months of closed-door capitulating to business interests by the government.

Much of the workweek issue has been framed to pit consumer, corporations and employees as separate parties in a "lose-lose-lose" scenario.

Corporations, unable to pay for higher production costs, are passing on the prices to consumers. Meanwhile workers' wages have not increased due to the lack of overtime "opportunities."

To be continued with www.chinapost.com.tw


•  Trump risks violating the constitution
•  No end in sight for Morroco political crisis after talks break down
•  Abe's 'super kantei' must produce real results for ordinary Japanese
•  Jack Ma's US jobs pledge: more PR than promise?
Entertainment
Sales of Trump aide's book halted after plagarism claims
By Hillel Italie, AP

NEW YORK -- The publisher of Monica Crowley's "What the (Bleep) Just Happened?" said Tuesday it is halting sales of the book, pending the "opportunity" for the aide to President-elect Donald Trump to revise her text.

Crowley is a syndicated talk show host and Trump's pick to serve as director of communications at the White House's National Security Council. She is accused of plagiarizing numerous passages in the 2012 book, an anti-Obama work that was praised by future Trump supporters Sarah Palin and Rudolph Giuliani, among others.

On Tuesday, HarperCollins announced the book and its 2013 edition, "What the (Bleep) Just Happened . . . Again?" will "no longer be offered for purchase until such time as the author has the opportunity to source and revise the material."

Both editions have the same basic material, but the 2013 book includes a new foreword, in which Crowley responds to Obama's re-election.

The hardcover of "What the (Bleep) Just Happened?" is out of print, but the 2012 edition has been available as an e-book. As of Tuesday morning, "What the (Bleep) Just Happened . . . Again?" was available as a paperback.

By midday, links to both books had been removed from Amazon.com, but remained on Barnes & Noble.com.

To be continued with www.chinapost.com.tw


•  Chef serves up a taste of Melania's homeland
•  Contest will pick opening acts for Bon Jovi
•  Fans pay tribute to 'eternal' Bowie on death anniversary
•  Madonna derides criticism over her younger partners
•  'The Last Painting'
Bilingual News
電信三雄去年獲利全超標 股價反應冷淡
記者楊伶雯/鉅亨網, The China Post news staff

電信三雄去年度自結獲利出爐,台灣大 (3045-TW) 全年每股純益 5.63 元,每股獲利居三雄之冠,優於中華電 (2412-TW) 的 5.16 元,及遠傳 (4904-TW) 的 3.5 元;三雄去年獲利都有超越財測的表現,不過中華電去年 12 月的每股純益 0.25 元,不如市場預期,今 (11) 日 3 家公司股價反應冷淡。

台灣大去年全年合併營收 1166.5 億元,年增 0.43%,營業利益 200.2 億元,年增 7%,稅後純益 153.2 億元,每股純益 (EPS)5.63 元,略低於 2015 年的 5.76 元,但超越財測目標 9%,奪下電信三雄去年每股獲利王。

中華電去年 12 月營收 207.1 億元,月增 9.24%,年減 1.89%,單月歸屬母公司業主淨利縮水至 19.7 億元,每股純益僅 0.25 元,是 2014 年中 4G 開台以來單月獲利新低;累計去年合併營收 2300.1 億元,每股純益 5.16 元,低空飛過財測目標的 5.15 元。

遠傳 (4904-TW) 今 (10) 日公佈去年 12 月自結合併營收 81.23 億元,單月 EPS 0.16 元,累計去年合併營收 943.44 億元,稅後淨利 113.91 億元,EPS 3.5 元,全年 EPS 財測達成率為 103%。

To be continued with www.chinapost.com.tw


•  迅得去年12月營收倍增 本季起有類載板設備大訂單
•  《星球大戰》粉絲要求把萊婭公主正式列入迪士尼公主
•  德國綠党承諾為窮人支付嫖妓費用
•  50個最佳銀幕之吻 傑克羅絲船頭深情擁吻奪冠
•  西方民眾擔心爆發世界大戰 美民眾最悲觀
Top
著作權所有 © 2016 China Post 英文郵報,禁止未經授權轉載或節錄。