Already deemed a stronger leader than his predecessors, President Xi Jinping has emerged from his first policy summit looking more powerful than before.
I've more affinity with the south than the north and was horrified by what happened to Tacloban. I like the place, even if it is Imelda Marcos' favorite city, and even if my stomach protests its liberal use of bahalina.
2013/11/14, 1 Comment
Although 90 percent of democratic politics is about good timing and seizing opportunities, sooner or later you will have to do the remaining 10 percent and nothing else.
The United States and China are negotiating a bilateral investment treaty. Economic issues come up regularly in the annual Strategic and Economic Dialogue. However, while car tires and chicken meat get the attention of American trade officials, certain Chinese actions with dire consequences for a particular sector in the United States somehow don't seem to get discussed as economic issues.
A day after foreign governments began rushing emergency relief aid to typhoon victims in the Philippines came China's belated offer of assistance.
From Nov. 4-5, the Myanmar government's peace negotiation team and representatives of ethnic armed groups met in Myitkyina, the capital of Kachin state. The meeting took place after a four-day (Oct. 30 to Nov. 2) conference of 17 ethnic armed groups in Laiza, also in Kachin state.
It's a hard truth, but not everyone has what it takes to be a volunteer at Protect And Save The Children, a non-governmental organization that deals with child sexual abuse.
The scandal involving the false labeling of food seems to be endless. It has spread from the hotel industry to restaurants and the food sections of department stores, among other businesses.
Taipei's China Television CTV is serializing an epic of Yue Fei, the Southern Song general “serving the country with utmost loyalty (精忠岳飛).”
- Joe Hung
Of the first images of the devastating power that Supertyphoon Yolanda (Haiyan) bore as it barreled through the Visayan islands, what struck me most was the grainy footage of the frenzied swaying of chandeliers in an old cathedral in Leyte, the roof of which was torn off piece by piece by the howling wind. Throughout the day, television stations had seemed hard-pressed to show scenes of massive destruction that somehow would match the worldwide attention Yolanda had garnered even before it made landfall.