Breaking News, World News and Taiwan News.

Man sentenced to death in China for bombing: report

BEIJING -- A Chinese court on Monday sentenced a man to death for deadly blasts near a provincial Communist Party headquarters last year, state media reported.

Feng Zhijun was condemned to die by the Taiyuan Intermediate People's Court, the official Xinhua news agency reported, citing a court statement.

The 42-year-old said he would not appeal to a higher court, it added.

Feng put explosive devices in at least two locations outside the provincial Communist Party headquarters in Taiyuan, the capital of the northern province of Shanxi, in November, killing one person and injuring 17, the statement said.

Feng was held two days after the blasts amid a tense atmosphere in China, just over a week after a deadly attack in Beijing's Tiananmen Square that was blamed on Uighur separatists and before a highly anticipated meeting of top party leaders in Beijing.

But newspapers and microblog postings suggested the Taiyuan attack was motivated by local grievances.

Feng was “vengeful” and wanted to “take revenge on society,” Xinhua reported at the time.

Write a Comment
CAPTCHA Code Image
Type in image code
Change the code
 Receive China Post promos
 Respond to this email
Subscribe  |   Advertise  |   RSS Feed  |   About Us  |   Career  |   Contact Us
Sitemap  |   Top Stories  |   Taiwan  |   China  |   Business  |   Asia  |   World  |   Sports  |   Life  |   Arts & Leisure  |   Health  |   Editorial  |   Commentary
Travel  |   Movies  |   TV Listings  |   Classifieds  |   Bookstore  |   Getting Around  |   Weather  |   Guide Post  |   Student Post  |   English Courses  |   Terms of Use  |   Sitemap
  chinapost search