Boston attack has little effect on tourism to US
April 19, 2013, 12:02 am TWN
TAIPEI -- A deadly bombing in Boston earlier this week has not significantly affected travel from Taiwan to the United States, tourism industry stakeholders said yesterday.
Some Taiwanese tour groups that had booked trips to Boston have changed their bookings and will travel instead to other cities in the U.S., according to the Taipei Association of Travel Agents.
An increasing number of people have been calling travel agencies to obtain information about travel to the U.S., but no significant drop in the number of people going there is expected in general, said Liu Yi-liang, an official at the association.
Travel agencies will continue to arrange alternative itineraries, he said, adding that only a few people so far have called off their U.S. travel plans.
Two bombs exploded Monday near the finish line of the Boston Marathon, causing three deaths and about 180 injuries. U.S. authorities are still investigating the incident.
Taiwan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Wednesday issued a "gray" travel alert for Boston, advising Taiwanese nationals to be cautious if they plan to travel to city on the northeastern coast of the U.S.
It is the lowest-level warning in the ministry's travel advisory system, which lists four levels — gray, yellow, orange and red — depending on the severity of the risk.