News Videos
World
International Edition

Monday

September 25, 2017

Breaking News, World News and Taiwan News.
About Us
E-Newsletter
Advertise
Contact Us

World powers condemn N. Korea's testing of nuke device

WASHINGTON--The United States and China joined other world powers in a chorus of condemnation Tuesday after North Korea carried out a third nuclear test in defiance of stark international warnings.

U.S. President Barack Obama called for "swift" and "credible" action after the underground blast as China expressed its "firm opposition" to the test and Russia also reportedly condemned it as a violation of U.N. resolutions.

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe meanwhile called the test a "grave threat" to his country that "cannot be tolerated," while Britain called for a "robust response" to the test.

Obama complained that the test was a "highly provocative act" that — following the North's Dec. 12 ballistic missile launch — undermined regional stability and violated U.N. Security Council resolutions.

"North Korea's nuclear weapons and ballistic missile programs constitute a threat to U.S. national security and to international peace and security," Obama said in a statement issued shortly before 2 a.m. Washington time (0700 GMT).

"The danger posed by North Korea's threatening activities warrants further swift and credible action by the international community," he said, adding that the United States would do whatever was necessary to defend its allies.

The United States, China, Russia and the other major powers face intense pressure to act over North Korea's defiance of sanctions imposed after previous tests in 2006 and 2009.

The United States and South Korea, the council president for February, had both called for firm measures against North Korea if it went ahead with the long-anticipated nuclear test.

China, the isolated North's closest ally, expressed its "firm opposition" to the nuclear test in a foreign ministry statement that urged Pyongyang to "honor its commitment to denuclearization."

Russia condemned the test as a violation of Security Council resolutions, according to the Interfax news agency, citing a foreign ministry source.

Beijing had made a special effort to try to head off the move, according to a U.N. diplomat who has taken part in recent consultations.

"The Chinese gave the North Koreans a strong warning against carrying out a test as it became apparent that it was imminent," said the diplomat, speaking on condition of anonymity.

"What the North Koreans have done now is a big challenge to the Chinese," the diplomat said, adding that China, Russia and the United States were likely to quickly agree on a tough response.

The envoy added that sanctions may not be agreed upon on Tuesday, but the "intention" would be made clear.

It took weeks for the Security Council to agree on statements and sanctions after North Korea's nuclear tests in 2006 and 2009, and North Korea's sinking of a South Korean warship in 2010.

But the Security Council ordered tougher sanctions against North Korea last month for a rocket launch it staged on Dec. 12, triggering a defiant pledge by Pyongyang to bolster its nuclear deterrent.

The Security Council last month added North Korea's state space agency, a bank, four trading companies and four individuals to its sanctions list.

China agreed to add to the resolution a threat of "significant action" in response to any future North Korean nuclear test.

MOST POPULAR OF THIS SECTION
Advertise  |   RSS Feed  |   About Us  |   Contact Us
Home  |   Taiwan  |   China  |   Business  |   Asia  |   World  |   Sports  |   Life  |  
Arts & Leisure  |   Health  |   Editorial  |   Commentary Travel  |   Movies  |   Guide Post  |   Terms of Use  |  
  chinapost search