Manila to evacuate 13,000 amid Libya clashes
By Imed Lamloum , AFP
August 1, 2014, 12:45 am TWN
TRIPOLI -- The Philippines was preparing Thursday to evacuate 13,000 citizens from Libya as violence raged and after a Filipino worker was beheaded and a nurse was gang-raped there.
Greece is also sending a warship to evacuate some of its citizens as well as people from other countries.
Philippine Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario was heading to neighboring Tunisia to organize an evacuation as fighting resumed between militias seeking to control the Libyan capital's crippled international airport.
Del Rosario said he was repeating a 2011 mission that evacuated thousands of Filipino workers during the uprising that toppled Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi.
"Our major challenge, as in 2011, is to convince our folks that they must leave Libya at the soonest time to avoid the perils of a highly exacerbating situation there," he told reporters in Manila.
The Philippines ordered an evacuation on July 20, hours after the discovery in the eastern city of Benghazi of the beheaded remains of a Filipino construction worker who had been abducted.
Manila also imposed a travel ban to the North African country, which has been plagued by violence since Gadhafi's overthrow.
On Wednesday, a Filipina nurse was abducted by a gang of youths outside her residence in Tripoli and gang-raped before being released two hours later, the foreign department said.
Refusing to Leave
Despite the dangers, del Rosario said many of the Filipinos, mostly employed in construction and hospitals, are refusing to leave because they would be unemployed back home.
Only a few more than 700 had left Libya by Wednesday, despite the rapidly deteriorating situation, as warring militias battle for control of key population centers.
Del Rosario said he is flying to Tunisia's Djerba island to "try to convince our people to leave (Libya) because the situation there is very dangerous.
"We are in the process of engaging ships from Malta that would pick up our people from Benghazi, Misrata and hopefully Tripoli then return to Malta for air transport to Manila," he said.
While each vessel could carry up to 1,500 people, he said the government was still negotiating safe passage through these ports.
Failing that, the Filipinos would be bused to Tunisia, where flight arrangements would be made, he added.
In Athens, meanwhile, an official said a navy frigate was en route to Libya to evacuate some 200 people, including diplomatic staff.
These include around 70 Greeks, some 15 Cypriots and 80 Chinese, in addition to other nationalities.
"There are a lot of requests but capacity on the frigate is limited," the official said.
Del Rosario could not have flown in to Tripoli if he had wanted to, because the airport was knocked out of commission by fighting earlier this month.