Massacre of 57 tests judicial progress in the Philippines
By Manuel Mogato ,Reuters June 25, 2012, 12:08 am TWN
MANILA -- Esmael Enog heard crackling gunfire and saw men armed with high-powered rifles carry out one of the most heinous crimes in Philippine history: the massacre of 57 people, including 31 journalists, on a November morning three years ago.
But nine months after testifying in court last July and pointing a finger at a politically powerful family, Enog vanished. His body was found in a sack near marshland last month, chain-sawed into pieces, according to his lawyer.
Two other witnesses have been murdered, casting doubt over whether anyone will be brought to justice for the nation's bloodiest election-related violence and the deadliest single attack on the press ever documented.
The difficulty of securing witnesses — and keeping them alive — is emerging as a formidable test for the two-year-old government of President Benigno Aquino, who has nurtured a graft-fighting image and vowed swift resolution of the case.
Whether he can do that depends, in part, on how deeply he can reform a judicial system plagued for decades by corruption.
The Washington-based Heritage Foundation think tank rates the country's judiciary as inefficient and says it remains susceptible to political interference. "Despite some progress, the government's anti-corruption efforts have been too inconsistent to eradicate bribery and graft effectively."
Corruption and lax rule of law remain among the biggest turnoffs to foreign investors, who favor the nearby emerging markets of Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia.
The 2009 massacre in the southern province of Maguindanao was horrific even by the standards of the Philippines, whose restive south is riven by political and insurgent violence.
Then, a convoy of vehicles en route to register Esmael Mangudadatu, an opposition candidate for provincial governor, was ambushed by about 100 gunmen on a lonely stretch of highway. The victims were driven to the top of a hill, separated into groups of men and women and then shot with high-powered firearms at close range.
Several women were allegedly raped before they were killed. Some were buried alive in mass graves.
Prosecutors identified a total 103 witnesses but rights groups say many have been harassed even while under a state witness protection program. One of the witnesses who was killed, Suwaib Upham, was gunned down after failing to receive the government protection he requested.
"We know of several cases of witnesses or their families who have been killed, threatened or harassed," said Elaine Pearson, deputy director of Human Rights Watch in Asia. "If the government can't get it together for this case, then what hope is there for all the other cases of human rights violations?"
The main defendants are the politically powerful Ampatuan family. Excavating equipment belonging to the local government, run by the family, was found at the site where it was used to dig graves so big two vehicles were buried with the bodies. Members of the family's private militia have also been charged.
MOST POPULAR OF THIS SECTION