Maldives denies bargain as ex-president exits embassy
AFPMALE--The Maldivian government Sunday denied any deal to allow former president Mohamed Nasheed to end his refuge at the Indian embassy in the capital and resume election campaigning without fear of arrest.
February 25, 2013, 12:05 am TWN
Presidential spokesman Abbas Riaz said Nasheed walked out of the embassy on Saturday afternoon of his own will and there was no agreement with an Indian mediator who rushed to the Maldives last week to resolve a tense standoff.
“There is no deal, absolutely no deal with the Indians or anyone else,” Riaz told AFP, in the government's first reaction to Nasheed leaving the embassy to resume his political work.
Nasheed, 45, sought refuge at the embassy on Feb. 13, straining ties between regional power India and its small neighbor Maldives, after an arrest warrant was issued following his failure to attend court.
He says his trial is a “politically motivated” attempt to disqualify him from an election due on Sept. 7, a charge denied by the government.