Korea, China expected to set up a military hotline
The Korea Herald/Asia News Network
July 22, 2014, 12:02 am TWN
The Korea Herald/Asia News Network--South Korea and China have reached a consensus on establishing a military hotline between their defense chiefs this year to further boost cooperation, a Seoul government source said Sunday.
After agreeing on "the necessity for the hotline, the two countries began discussing the issue in earnest from the end of last year and have reached a consensus to set it up within this year," the source said. He declined to be named.
"The two are likely to reach a final decision during their fourth round of the strategic defense dialogue due next week," he added.
The Seoul-Beijing dialogue is set to take place Tuesday in China, with South Korea to be represented by Vice Defense Minister Baek Seung-joo and China by Wang Guanzhong, deputy chief of general staff of the Chinese People's Liberation Army.