News Videos
World
International Edition

Monday

July 24, 2017

Breaking News, World News and Taiwan News.
About Us
E-Newsletter
Advertise
Contact Us

Army captures killer S. Korean conscript

A South Korean military conscript who killed five members of his unit near the border with North Korea was captured Monday after wounding himself following a 24-hour standoff with thousands of troops.

Defence Ministry spokesman Kim Min-Seok said the 22-year-old sergeant, who was cornered in a small forested area 10 kilometers (six miles) south of the heavily militarised border, had shot himself in the side and had been taken to hospital.

"We have retrieved his gun and all the ammunition he was carrying," Kim told reporters.

Thousands of soldiers backed by special forces units and army helicopters had surrounded Lim, since he was tracked down Sunday afternoon.

Armed with a K-2 assault rifle and a stash of ammunition, he had gone on the run Saturday night after killing five fellow soldiers and wounding seven others at a frontline border outpost.

Prior to turning his gun on himself, Lim had spoken via a mobile phone with his father and brother, both of whom had urged him to surrender.

An army officer who requested anonymity told Yonhap news agency that Lim had been in tears when he asked troops to hand the phone over to his family.

"He talked ... for several minutes, and they pleaded with him to surrender," the officer was quoted as saying.

Lim had traded fire with his pursuers late Sunday before digging in for the night in a section of forest outside Myungpa-ri village in eastern Gangwon province.

One platoon leader was wounded in the arm in the exchange and the defence ministry said another soldier was wounded Monday by friendly fire.

Lim was due to be discharged in the next few months after completing his compulsory military service.

The motive behind the shooting was unclear, but army sources said he had difficulty adapting to the military, and psychological evaluators had advised senior officers to pay him special attention.

The shooting spree triggered a massive military manhunt involving more than 4,000 soldiers.

Around 500 village residents, most of them elderly, were evacuated from their homes to a school building as a precaution.

- Bullying in the barracks -

MOST POPULAR OF THIS SECTION
1
Taiwanese arrive in Cambodia to urge that fraud suspects be sent home — not to China
2
Former Khmer Rouge leader blatantly lies about genocide
3
A woman died from poisoned coffee and now the cafe's business is booming
4
South Korea's president told Obama that the North has 'last chance' for dialogue
5
Taiwanese who allegedly impersonated police in Singapore get taken to the scene of the crime
6
The American cop who shot dead an Australian woman 'is refusing talk'
7
LATEST: Kim promises more missile test 'gift packages'
8
UPDATE: Death toll rises to 7 in southwestern Japan floods; princess delays engagement announcement
9
A journalist with close ties to the Japanese PM is being accused of rape
10
Protesters have turned out to support a Taiwanese man's landmark same-sex court case in Japan
Advertise  |   RSS Feed  |   About Us  |   Contact Us
Home  |   Taiwan  |   China  |   Business  |   Asia  |   World  |   Sports  |   Life  |  
Arts & Leisure  |   Health  |   Editorial  |   Commentary Travel  |   Movies  |   Guide Post  |   Terms of Use  |  
  chinapost search