News Videos
International Edition


July 26, 2017

Breaking News, World News and Taiwan News.
About Us
Contact Us

42 percent of Japanese favor constitutional amendment: poll

Those who favor amending the Constitution outnumber those who oppose it by a one-point margin, according to results of the latest opinion poll conducted by The Yomiuri Shimbun.

The nationwide survey, taken on Feb. 22 and 23, showed 42 percent of respondents support an amendment to the Constitution, slightly more than the 41 percent who said it would be better not to amend the top law.

The poll was conducted by making face-to-face requests for interviews of 3,000 randomly selected eligible voters at 250 locations nationwide. About 50 percent, or 1,512 people, gave valid answers.

The number of people who were in favor of amending the supreme law dropped by nine percentage points from last year's survey in March. In that survey, 51 percent supported revision of the Constitution, while 31 percent opposed it.

Regarding the right to collective self-defense, which the government has maintained that Japan possesses but it cannot exercise, 27 percent chose the answer that the government interpretation should be changed to enable the country to use the right, while 22 percent said that the Constitution should be revised to let the nation use the right. Together those who support allowing Japan to exercise the right come to 49 percent.

Meanwhile, 43 percent of the respondents in the survey said, "It is OK for the country to continue being unable to exercise the right."

The survey also asked about problems surrounding Article 9 of the Constitution — which renounces war and prohibits the use of force — to which the government has referred for its interpretation and applications of the top law. Asked what should be done about Article 9 hereafter, 43 percent selected "Respond to problems through interpretation and application as the government has done," outnumbering the 30 percent who chose "There are limits in the responses that can be made through interpretation and application, so Article 9 should be revised."

The percentage of those who think all political parties need to further discuss the supreme law remained high at 73 percent, about the same level as last year's 76 percent.

As for issues that should be given high priority in the Deliberative Council on the Constitution in each Diet chamber, two issues topped 50 percent. The respondents were allowed to choose up to three answers to this question. "The government's authority in emergency situations including major disasters" was chosen by 53 percent, while 51 percent picked "Problems related to the renunciation of war and the Self-Defense Forces."

Asked which constitutional issues they are interested in, again with multiple answers allowed, "Renouncing war and SDF issues" topped the list at 47 percent, followed by "Environmental problems" at 30 percent. "Issues related to official visits to Yasukuni Shrine by the prime minister" was at 24 percent, while "Privacy protection" and "Amendments to the Constitution" were at 22 percent each.

Taiwanese arrive in Cambodia to urge that fraud suspects be sent home — not to China
A woman died from poisoned coffee and now the cafe's business is booming
Taiwanese who allegedly impersonated police in Singapore get taken to the scene of the crime
The American cop who shot dead an Australian woman 'is refusing talk'
South Korea's president told Obama that the North has 'last chance' for dialogue
LATEST: Kim promises more missile test 'gift packages'
A journalist with close ties to the Japanese PM is being accused of rape
UPDATE: Death toll rises to 7 in southwestern Japan floods; princess delays engagement announcement
Some tourist visa holders being asked to show 20,000 baht in cash when entering Thailand
Protesters have turned out to support a Taiwanese man's landmark same-sex court case in Japan
Advertise  |   RSS Feed  |   About Us  |   Contact Us
Home  |   Taiwan  |   China  |   Business  |   Asia  |   World  |   Sports  |   Life  |  
Arts & Leisure  |   Health  |   Editorial  |   Commentary Travel  |   Movies  |   Guide Post  |   Terms of Use  |  
  chinapost search