New Year revelers nab Sydney Harbour spots
dpaSydney--Top spots to watch Sydney's famous New Year's Eve fireworks were already being claimed Sunday as organizers said 1.5 million spectators were expected to throng Australia's biggest city.
December 31, 2012, 12:12 am TWN
More than 7 tons of fireworks are wired up on the bridge and on barges in the harbor and will light up the skies for a live audience that Lord Mayor Clover Moore said would be twice as big as that in London and 50-percent bigger than that in Berlin.
She claimed a television audience of 1 billion people — one in seven of the world's population — would watch part of a spectacular performance kicking off 2013.
What is billed as the greatest pyrotechnic show on earth will again be backed by hi-tech wizardry.
There was a free downloadable song last year and this time there is a mobile phone app and live streaming on the event website.
“For the first time we're giving people around the world a chance to see this astonishing show as it's happening,” Moore said. “The live stream will give people who've never seen our New Year's Eve fireworks a chance to join in on the celebrations.”
This year, 45 of the official viewing spots will be glass- and alcohol-free and police said 2,800 officers would be on hand to search bags to prevent grog smuggling.
“Think before your drink,” Deputy Police Commissioner Nick Kaldas said. “Don't start 2013 with a criminal record.”